Connect with Us

For A Consultation:


Your International Divorce Attorney

Divorce without Borders

A divorce is one of the most difficult experiences an individual can go through, but when one spouse resides overseas or there are overseas assets, an extra layer of complexity is added. Having represented individuals with overseas spouses and assets, international divorce attorney Chikeersha Puvvada can provide you with strategic and practical advice on not only what leads to a successful outcome in a Texas divorce court, but also on what will be effective when international issues are involved. Some of the common challenges in international divorce cases that Chikeersha Puvvada has successfully dealt with include serving a spouse overseas, dividing overseas assets in an enforceable manner, protecting the safety and welfare of children when overseas parents are involved, and consulting with and utilizing attorneys and experts from foreign nations. When overseas spouses or assets are involved, you can rely on Chikeersha Puvvada, an attorney with experience in international divorces.

International Divorce FAQs

I live in Texas but was married abroad. Can I file for a divorce in Texas?

To file for divorce in Texas, you must have lived in Texas for the past 6 months, and lived in the county where you plan to file for the past 90 days. As you long as you meet the residency requirements, you can file for divorce in Texas. The Texas Family Code does not require your marriage to have been performed in Texas or even in the United States for you to be able to file for divorce in Texas.

Can I get a divorce in Texas if my spouse lives overseas?

If you meet the residency requirements to file for divorce in Texas, then yes. At minimum you can get a "status" divorce, where the court changes your martial status from married to divorced, but there are no other rulings in a "status" divorce. For rulings on the division of martial property and child issues in your divorce, the Texas divorce court will need personal jurisdiction over your spouse. For more information on personal jurisdiction, read our article Divorcing a Spouse Who Doesn't Live in Texas.

Can I file for divorce in Texas if I live overseas?

If your spouse has lived in Texas for the last 6 months, then you can file for divorce in the Texas county where you spouse lives regardless of the country in which you live.

Will my divorce in Texas be valid in an other country?

That depends entirely on the laws of the other country. The best way to answer this question is to consult with an attorney in the other country before you file for divorce in Texas. Your foreign counsel and Chikeersha Puvvada can work together to see what steps, if any, can be taken in your Texas divorce to make it valid in the foreign country.

Can a Texas divorce court divide my assets that are in another country?

Yes. For more information on how Texas divorce courts deal with foreign assets, read our article Dealing with Out-of-State Property in a Texas Divorce.

Visit our FAQ section to learn more.

Our Top Articles on International Divorce
Divorcing a Spouse Who Doesn't Live in Texas
August 21, 2014

South Asian couple standing back to back with their hands on their foreheads in frustration
When a marriage ends, it's common for one of the spouses to move. Whether a spouse moves to Texas or away from Texas, many individuals end up in a situation in which they want to file for divorce in Texas but their spouse lives in another state or country. This article reviews the issues involved in getting an out-of-state spouse into a Texas divorce court.


International Travel in Custody Cases
March 19, 2018

Paper cut out of a family standing on yellow block letters that spell child custody
Parents who like to travel and are going through or about to go through a divorce or child custody case often wonder how international travel with their children will work. In this article we discuss the standard international travel provisions for children found in Texas custody orders. Specifically, we will discuss when a parent can travel overseas with their children and what a parent needs to do prior to traveling overseas with their children.


Reducing the Risk of International Parental Child Abduction
July 12, 2016

Silhouette of mother and child at an airport looking at an airplane
With the increased amount of marriages between residents of the United States and foreign nationals, the problem of international child abduction by parents is increasing. In this article, learn how you can reduce the risk that your child is taken and kept overseas by your child's other parent.


"Amazing Experience! I hired Mr. Puvvada to help me with my divorce application. He charged a very reasonable fee for his services and provided me a very realistic picture of how the whole process will be, as my wife was not in the country. He is a very trustworthy and responsible lawyer. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing an efficient divorce attorney and will be forever thankful for his services."
-Nikhil K. (client review)

If you need help with an international divorce, contact divorce attorney Chikeersha Puvvada at 281-313-5300 or online today to schedule a consultation. Due to the "Stay Home to Save Lives" order issued in Fort Bend County on March 24, 2020, our office will only be available by phone and teleconference until April 4, 2020.

Main Office:

19855 Southwest Freeway
Suite 330
Sugar Land, Texas 77479
Tel. (281) 313-5300
Fax (866) 561-5068

The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Chikeersha Puvvada is responsible for the content of this site.

Chikeersha Puvvada is admitted to practice law in the following states only: Texas, New Jersey.

Copyright 2020 - Puvvada Law Office, PLLC. All rights reserved.